Now that we’re a couple months into the new year, it’s possible you’ve already realized the futility of most resolutions. Or perhaps you think that somehow, eating healthy and still enjoying craft beer are mutually exclusive.
Regardless, Chef Daniel Voorhees of Rustic Cuisine will open your eyes – and palate — with his Baby Kale and Toasted Walnut Salad recipe.
Kale gets a bad rap as being essentially a glorified garnish that’s somehow become the staple of hipsters and pretentious vegans. But in Chef Dan’s capable hands – and paired with his recommendation of Buzzard’s Roost – you’re gonna eat healthy without even knowing it.
Chef Daniel is a Black Hills native who attended Culinary School of the Rockies, now Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. In addition to running Rustic Cuisine, where he and his wife, Alexa, will come to your home and prepare a menu of based on your flavor profile, he’s also the Executive Chef at Black Hills Surgical Hospital.
According to Chef Dan, “I chose to pair [this recipe] with the Buzzard’s Roost. It has a high alcohol content that works great to cleanse the palette and enhance flavors. … I think the toasted nut, as well as the slight bitterness of the kale, will accent the beer quite nicely.”
We agree whole heartedly, Chef Dan.
Baby Kale & Toasted Walnut Salad
For the Salad:
- 4 cups Baby Kale rinsed
- 1/3 cup Walnuts toasted
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 tbsp Champagne Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Cranberry Juice
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- Whisk together vinegar, honey and cranberry
- Once combined, slowly add olive oil while whisking fast until mixture thickens and set aside
- Heat chicken stock to a boil, rinse Quinoa and add to stock.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes) and set aside to cool slightly
- While the quinoa is still warm, toss together with kale so the kale wilts slightly. Add remaining garnish and slowly dress salad with vinaigrette. Add slowly, tasting often, so you don't over dress.
- Pour a nice glass of Buzzard’s Roost and dream of summer!